ABOUT US

History

  • As a result of the green revolution independent India witnessed four fold increase in its food-grains production which led to self-sufficiency to its increasing population and achieved the position of second highest producer of food-grains in the World. After meeting its food requirement India is having a sizable quantity of food-grains for export to the other countries.
  • In order to develop facilities for applied research and apex level training in the field of storage and preservation of foodgrains, a Grain Storage Research and Training Center was established at Hapur in 1958 with the aim to train the personnel who are engaged in handling and maintenance of foodgrains in the godowns, Silos and at farm-houses.
  • The Centre was later expanded into Indian Grain Storage Institute (IGSI) with two field stations at Ludhiana and Bapatla (later shifted to Hyderabad) with the financial assistance from UNDP in 1968. The IGSI was renamed as Indian Grain Storage Management and Research Institute (IGMRI) in 1996.
  • The IGMRI, located at Hapur functions under the supervision and administrative control of the Storage and Research Division of the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Department of Food and Public Distribution.
  • Attached to the Institute are two field stations situated at Ludhiana (Punjab), & Hyderabad (Telangana).
  • These field stations were primarily established for conducting intensive studies on the problems of handling and storage of wheat, rice, millets, pulses and oil-seeds in different agro-climatic zones of the country, predominantly suited to these commodities.